If you had plans for the weekend of March 7 & 8, cancel them. You don’t want to miss Macy’s Arts Sampler Weekend presented by ArtsWave!
There’s nothing quite like an entire weekend of FREE art, and one that encompasses the entire city is simply amazing.
The 2015 Macy’s Arts Sampler Weekend presented by ArtsWave, will be held over one weekend from March 7-8, 2015, and will offer more than 100 events, activities and performances throughout Greater Cincinnati. All events are free and open to the public through the sponsorship of Macy’s.
“Macy’s Arts Sampler gives everyone a chance to discover the wide variety of arts across our region,” said Alicia Kintner, President and CEO of ArtsWave. “It’s a great way to spend a weekend with family and friends and try something new.”
Macy’s Arts Sampler shines a spotlight on arts organizations large and small that are supported by the annual ArtsWave Community Campaign, when people all across our region come together to support the creative things that make Greater Cincinnati an amazing place to live. This year’s Campaign goal will be announced in February 2015.
Saturday, March 7: An Arts Celebration in Community Arts Centers
- Mask-Making Workshop, Ensemble Theatre Cincinnati, 1127 Vine St., Cincinnati, 10am and 11am. From the dawn of time, people have been using masks to create a unique identity. In this fun workshop, kids will blend visual art with acting as they design a mask then explore the personality of the character they have created. Recommended for participants 5 and up. Space is limited.
- Camp Art Academy, Art Academy of Cincinnati, 1212 Jackson Street, Cincinnati, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Parents and kids alike can experience a variety of media forms while sampling the Art Academy of Cincinnati’s activities.
- Tracy Walker Band, Campbell County Public Library, 901 East Sixth Street, Newport, 1:15 p.m. Music lovers of all ages are invited to enjoy original songs written by award-winning singer/songwriter Tracy Walker.
- The singing Bowls: Sight and Sound, Fairfield Community Arts Center, 411 Wessel Drive, Fairfield. 2-2:45pm. Open to parents with children ages 15+, attendees will experience singing bowls, dance, flutes and percussion.
- Visionaries + Voices, 3841 Spring Grove Avenue, Cincinnati, noon-4 p.m. Families are invited to participate in hands-on art making activities developed by a Visionary + Voices teaching artist.
Sunday, March 8: Music Hall Open House
All of the performing arts spaces in Music Hall will be filled with free performances and hands-on activities on Sunday, March 8 culminating with a free concert, “Storybook Favorites,” featuring the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Cincinnati Opera, Cincinnati Ballet, and May Festival at 3 p.m. in Springer Auditorium. A few highlights from the day include:
- Society for The Preservation of Music Hall,self-guided tours, 11am – 2:30pm. Explore one of our region’s most historic and beloved landmarks on your own self-guided tour. Start at the “balloon station” in the lobby to begin your adventure.
- Cincinnati Shakespeare Company, Corbett Tower, Music Hall, 11 a.m. Cincinnati Shakespeare Company performs excerpts from Midsummer Night’s Dream, Romeo & Juliet and other Shakespeare classics.
- MYCincinnati Youth Orchestra, Springer Auditorium, Music Hall, noon. Young musicians from this Price Hill orchestra will perform classical favorites.
- Weavers Guild of Greater Cincinnati, General, Music Hall.Weavers Guild members will explain how a loom works and do some weaving on a loom. Audience will be invited to participate. Ages 6+
- My Nose Turns Red Youth Circus, Springer Auditorium, Music Hall, 1:30 p.m. Performance by student jugglers, acrobats, and clowns, plus an opportunity for families to try some circus fun with hoops, juggling and balance balls.
A full schedule of the 100+ weekend activities can be found at www.theartswave.org and printed copies of the schedules can be found at local libraries. ArtsWave also released a mobile app to help make the most of your weekend. Click here to visit the Macy’s ArtsWave Sampler page then scroll to the bottom to choose iPhone or Android.